His first day of school




Just weeks went by since my mother had passed and we decided during our visit here in Nova Scotia as we watched the sunset colours get more vibrant in the distance, almost the same shade of our local red wine from Gaspereau Valley where I grew up, that we would move back home here in Nova Scotia. The race to find the school in mid-August was on. Despite nearby schools, we decided to make a choice to drive them in town to receive a French immersion education.  Our daughter had already received and enjoyed the French immersion in BC where we lived and worked for 10 years. 
Our son starting primary, was the most exciting event for a five years old and because he loved preschool in BC, he was excited to make friends in his new environment. Our daughter had a beautiful day full of stories and giggles of new friends. Our son kept his composure until he got in the car. He burst into tears and said it was the worst day and kids made fun of him, called him a girl and no one spoke to him. He told us that he would not return to primary again.
We as parents were devastated who would not love this little boy? My husband comforted our son who recanted stories of when he was a little boy said that he too did not like his first day at school. We reassured him that who wouldn't like him? He was just to be himself and they would like him the way he was.  Oh sure the time went on, and the non-inclusive environment escalated into shoving. I was utterly devastated and marched in the office to speak to a principal, and I remember distinctly, the receptionist screamed at me that I could not get in because the principal was busy with another issue.  I lost it and burst into tears. I eventually saw the principal and asked for a guidance councilor who called him gregarious and different from the other children. The guidance councillor proceeded to see him and advised us that he would have to tone down his "gregarious" attitude because the children did not understand him. We had to assimilate and adapt and so we did. I kept his hair unruly, I put him in second-hand clothes and bought him clothes to look like everyone else. Was this right? No, but we swallowed our pride and adapted to our new environment. 

Popular posts from this blog

Am I too sensitive? Aren't You?

What is a prank phone call?